Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mavs 1 Year Anniversary, Remember 6.12.11

#Np: Thank You - Jay-Z

Pick: Thunder (-5) over Heat

Even though the Mavs got swept in the 1st round by the Thunder this year, today is a day to reflect. Exactly one year ago on this day, the Dallas Mavericks won their 1st NBA championship. Every single Mavs fan like myself will remember where they were, what they were doing, and who they were with on June 12, 2011 around 9:30pm. I sure do...watching the game with my family, calling and texting fellow Mavs fans, looking at all of the madness on Facebook and Twitter. My parents, my aunt, and I are huge Mavs fans but my younger brother and sister are actually Miami Heat fans. It wasn't the 1st time I got emotional over a Mavs game but it was the 1st time I was just at a total immediate loss for words. After celebrating with my family and watching the immediate player reactions, I had to leave the house. I walked outside, and just took a quick walk up and down my street. Just in disbelief that we actually did it. After almost getting to the Finals in 2003. After dropping a 2-0 lead to Miami in the 2006 Finals. After winning a team-record 67 games in 2007 and then losing to the 8-seeded Warriors in the 1st round. After dealing with the possibility that Dirk Nowitzki could have been gone after we lost to the Spurs in the 1st round as a 2-seed in 2010. To then beat a team like the Miami Heat who have 3 of the best players in the world. It kind of felt like we did it for America since EVERYONE hates the Miami Heat now. We deserved that ring and we sure as hell earned it with the run that we made. Tough series with Portland in the 1st round, which consisted of a Brandon Roy takeover in the 4th quarter in Game 4 that hurt our hearts. Then not only beating the Lakers but SWEEPING the Lakers, which consisted of a 36 point smacking in the close out game. I hope you guys remember Game 4 of our series against the Thunder, down 15 in the 4th. And all of the sudden, Dirk just went nuts. My cable actually went out that night and I had to rush to a nearby bar in order to catch the comeback. And then we all know what happened against Miami.

I'm 23 years old going on 24 and there's no doubt that this was the greatest moment I've ever had as a fan. All of the haters can go ahead and tell me it will never happen again or whatever. But what you don't understand is that after all of the disappointments and heartbreaks...I wasn't asking for a dynasty, I wasn't asking for a couple, I just wanted one. That's it. I can now die a happy man.

Follow me on Twitter...@KolaAlade

No comments:

Post a Comment